Sunday, June 04, 2006

I was described by my friend Carol as an anachronism. Rather than being on the cutting edge of computer technology and into foreign luxury cars, I hated the way computers seemed to be taking over our lives, and my idea of a luxury automobile was my old red Cadillac. That was in the early 90's. Sometimes I still think of myself that way, born into the wrong decade.

I always had trouble keeping up with those around me. I liked the slower pace (except when I was driving), the simpler lifestyle, soft music, and the sweetness of babies. When I had a vegetable garden in my backyard, laundry on the clothesline, children in and out of the house - riding bikes, jumping on the trampoline, playing basketball, did I realize then that I would one day look back at all that and miss it? Probably not.

Nostalgia has been hard to shake this week. I go through this after I've spent time with my kids and grandkids. I miss them so much and wish they lived close-by. Reality would then override idealism, and I probably wouldn't be nearly as sentimental as I am.

I'm extending my hiatus from church one more Sunday. It's the day of Pentecost, the day to celebrate the coming of The Holy Spirit. I'd rather celebrate at home. I've already been blessed by music, scripture, prayer, and fellowship this morning. Going to church seems quite unnecessary, even burdensome, at the present moment. When I have something to contribute, I'll go back. Right now I don't.

I went for a shorter walk this morning than I've been taking. Rather than put the dogs on leashes, I let them run. They stayed close and came in when I did. The cats went with us, too. Most of the neighborhood was still asleep. It was very peaceful out by the lake.

I have a neighbor, a Vietnamese lady, who regularly goes to the lakeside to sing praises to our Creator. Today it was Holy, Holy, Holy in her native language. With hands raised in prayer and oblivious to anyone around her, she sings with a clear, beautiful voice. Who needs church after that?

No comments: