Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I had to rescue Gus from the yardman's weed whacker. When I walked out to call him in, he was about to get it from one of our "no hable Ingles" immigrants we've heard so much about in the news lately.

I haven't decided how I feel about that issue. I hate that we make it illegal for anyone to come here who wants to. America, as we know it, would never have come about if we had been required to go through "legal channels." But do we put out the welcome mat for anyone and everyone? What choice do we have? Our borders are much too long to create any kind of meaningful restriction, yet there are those who envision and promote a sort of "great wall of China" structure. What happened to the philosoply behind "The New Colossus" (by Emma Lazarus).

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land:
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips.
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost, to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Seems like we had to memorize that in 8th grade, but all I remembered were the last 5 lines. I've never forgotten the idea behind it, however. We descend from this "wretched refuse." We used to be known as the land of opportunity, and I guess we still are by those who have so much less. But we cannot continue to support social services for the masses while Dubya continues to cut taxes for his wealthy buddies. He seems to think the churches will pick up the slack, and they usually do, but more of our taxes should be going for these services, and less for that stupid war of his. AAAAAaaaagh!

Speaking of taxes, we got good news on ours. We owe less than $200. That's a first for us. If I could find all the documents, we'd probably be getting a refund. And I was going to be so organized this year.

We talked to the Senior Partners about hiring help for Mike while I'm gone. They charge $10.25/hr and have a 4 hr daily minimum. That made Mike start thinking seriously about what he can do for himself, and he actually agreed that if he took his bath at night before retiring, he wouldn't need any help except with the shoes and socks the next morning. And if he weren't so anal, he could manage the pets without help, but he still deludes himself by thinking they should be controlled. We haven't asked Art, yet, if he would mind helping. I may send him an email, so he can take his time and think about it before responding.

My right hand is swollen and blue-green-purple from the fall on Monday, and I've got the ugliest bruise on my backside I've ever had. I had a bit of a headache yesterday, but today it seems ok. My back is stiffer than usual, too. Gray, my neighbor in 25, said he heard a commotion, but didn't hear a call for help, so he didn't come to check on me. I told him not to wait for an invitation if it happens again. I could be knocked out cold. If I'd been 69 instead of 59, I'd probably be in the hospital with a broken hip.

No comments: