Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Good Night and Good Luck was an intriguing look at network news in pre-computer, pre-cable, pre-color-tv days. I didn’t realize Edward R. Murrow was so influential. McCarthy’s witch hunt for communists reminds me of the extreme measures now being used in tracking terrorists. Rather than getting rid of their target, they create the ideal atmosphere for their adversary to thrive. I liked what Murrow said in one of his speeches:

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always, that accusation is not proof, and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another, we will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.

I could listen to Dianne Reeves’ music all day, and George Clooney, although 20 pounds heavier than normal, is still very easy on the eyes.

This was the first movie I’ve watched with Mike in several weeks. I get claustrophobic being stuck for that long in the same room with him. GN&GL was shorter than most, so that helped.

Actually, watching movies, at all, is not easy for me. My attention wanders, I get restless, I think of other things I’d rather be doing, I’m usually flipping through a magazine, or a catalog, or paying bills, or reading recipes while the movie is on. I haven’t always been this antsy, or have I? Writing this out made me realize it’s the way I was in school, too. I probably had ADHD, but that hadn’t been discovered yet.

It also explains why I have a thousand unfinished projects around here, and why I can sit for hours at my computer reading, writing, playing games, painting pictures, listening to music, balancing the budget, never on one thing very long, flit, flit, flit. I can be in the middle of a Scrabble game, get bored, surf the net, come back to the game and pick up where I left it, no longer bored, my interest renewed.

And thanks to my dogs, my hubby, and my tiny bladder, I have to get up at least once an hour, take a walk, do something helpful or productive, then come back to my office and have FUN.

It’s also why nobody can ever get me on the telephone. I get so agitated talking on the phone. There’s no polite way to say, “Excuse me, but I’m tired of this, good-bye.” So I avoid it as much as possible, and everybody gets annoyed with me. My hearing loss and tinnitus are to blame for much of it, I get real tired of asking people to repeat whatever they say.

And no, I haven’t always been this way about the telephone, it used to be my livlihood and one of my favorite pastimes, but I was usually doing something else while on the phone - doodling, filing, cooking supper, polishing my nails, etc. I think they call that multi-tasking now.

Today’s Sagittarius horoscope says “Your basic ideas about yourself are undergoing changes.” Not that I put much stock in horoscopes, but some days they are eerily relevant. My ideas about myself are changing, they were never unchanging. The older I get the more I find to like about me, and the more aware I am of my flaws. Heck, I’m one of the most imperfect people I know, and most of the time, that‘s ok with me.

I’m debating whether to make this blog public. I sent a link to Benji yesterday, but, so far, no one else. He’s got several blogs posted. If I make mine public, I plan to add links to his, too. He’s a great writer and poet, and I would love for anyone who reads mine to read his, too.

I wish Ricky had a blog, but as far as I know, he’s not into this, yet. A stranger will get a slanted view of Benji’s mom after reading his blogs, he tends to lean to the far left in his politics, and expresses his opinions freely. Ricky leans to the right and I’m in the moderate middle, leaning more to the left than some Republicans like, and more to the right than some Democrats like.

I really liked Clinton as a president, he disappointed me with his poor judgment in some of his personal behavior, but Bush’s presidency has been a huge disappointment to me from beginning to end. President Gore or President Kerry would have been much better for our nation in the long run. Thank goodness, a lot of Republicans are waking up to Bush's incompetence. Now if the Democrats can win back a majority of the House and Senate seats in November, maybe we can restore some balance to this sinking ship.

I used to be perplexed by how different my two sons are, but a priest told me I was to be congratulated for creating a home where each could develop in his own way. That requires a great deal of freedom and security, he said.

We just had a freaky thing happen on our front porch. The light fixture appears to have been pulled away from the wall, the globe fell and busted, and there was no logical explanation for it when I went out there. Not a soul around, not even a squirrel, maybe we have a poltergeist. Weird.

No comments: