Sunday, March 20, 2011

So the Man in the Moon was bragging last night about how much bigger he was than he normally is. Somehow this sounds familiar. I really couldn't tell much difference, could you? Big, bright, and beautiful in a cloudless sky, but no magic, at least, not in my little corner of the world.

I got a call from my neighbor at 8:31 demanding to know why Obama is going to war with Libya. He leans right in his politics and I lean left, so needless to say, we have had heated exchanges about who's smart and who's dumb. He keeps asking me to name 5 things Bush did wrong and I've given him a long list of mistakes Bush made. Yesterday he told me to write them down. Since he's the one who keeps forgetting, I told him to write them down, not a form of neighborliness I would recommend, but somehow we have maintained a friendship that has many twists and turns.

Just proves what G.K. Chesterton said: We make our friends, we make our enemies, but God makes our next door neighbor. Maybe for some higher purpose, I was planted in the house next door to this fundamentalist Pentecostal Republican. I thought it was to drag him kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Now I'm beginning to think I should just leave him where he is to evolve in his own good time. Or not.

No comments: