Saturday, January 03, 2009

I missed the rehearsal today for our Mardi Gras program, which disappointed me greatly. The time was changed from what I wrote down a couple of weeks ago, and somehow I missed the email that told me. Makes me wonder what else I've missed. Carelessness or stress? Or a combination of the two?
.
I was really looking forward to some dancing and singing, nothing, well, almost nothing, puts me in a better mood, but as it turned out they did none of the choreography today. And the songs are mostly new to me, since I haven't kept up with pop music lately. But we'll have a CD to help us learn the songs and YouTube has videos of them all.
.
One of the numbers is not new at all, "A Lot of Livin' to Do" from Bye, Bye Birdie. (I tried to embed the video, but it didn't work. Click on the link for a real treat.) The movie came out in the 60's with Bobby Rydell and Ann Margaret. Man! I always wanted to dance like her. That looks like the most fun imaginable.
.
I still regret not being permitted to dance as a teenager. My Baptist preacher daddy just didn't understand the bitter dissapointment I suffered from his not allowing me to attend the dances in high school. I did get to dance in the school musicals, and that was great fun, but I wanted to "twist and shout" with Richard and our other friends after the Friday night ballgames, and never got to. Of course, my friend Tonya and I spent many Saturday mornings dancing along with American Bandstand in her grandmother's living room. Still, it just wasn't the same.



The 60's dancing video was the second reminder I got this weekend of Tonya. One of the friends I went out with last night reminds me of her so much. Wish I had a picture of Paula to put beside this one of Tonya. They could easily pass for sisters.
.
The other fun thing I did today was to eat breakfast with the Rankin County Democrats at Golden Corral. Some of the nicest people I've met in a long time, and so intelligent.
.
My visit with Mike was not fun. He's still not accepting any responsibility for his current predicament, and doesn't want to talk about it. Ah, me. This is not going to be easy.

No comments: