Saturday, November 01, 2008

After listening to my neighbor's racial, ethnic, homophobic, and misogynistic slurs today, I came home and tried to pray for him. It's at times like this I'm very grateful for our Prayer Book. Thank goodness someone went to the trouble to put into words the thoughts I have trouble expressing when I've been exposed to an overflow of such hostility. I'll be so glad when this election is over.

O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth: deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
.
O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
.
Then I opened my email and found this lovely message from a friend:


Dear God,
The lady reading this
Is beautiful, classy & strong and I love her.
Help her live her life to the fullest.
Please promote her and cause her to excel above expectations.
Help her to shine in darkest places
and love where it is impossible to love.
Protect her at all times,
lift her up when she needs you the most
and let her know that when she walks with you,
She will always be safe.


Reminds me of that old song - All night, all day, angels watching over me, My Lord... Well, it is All Saints Day, so maybe it's the saints and the angels watching over me. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: