Friday, April 04, 2008

My threesome topped off a busy Thursday with a steak dinner at Kathryn's and the concert at St. Philip's. Organist John Paul from St. Andrew's Cathedral in downtown Jackson and baritone James Martin of our own St. Philip's choir performed Bach exclusively, hence, the "Bach to Bach" title for the program. If I knew more about classical music than I know, I'd give you a review, but all I can say is, "I enjoyed it." Pam and Jean did, too.
.
I went dumpster diving this morning, rescuing some wicker furniture I'll try to rehab for the back porch. All 3 pieces looked like this, but when I get through working they will look more like the second picture. I was working on the settee when a bad storm came through, so I had to stop and come inside. This will get another coat of paint, maybe with a sponge instead of spray paint. I removed the wicker from the seat and replaced it with plywood. Strong winds have caused damage in NE Jackson, Flowood, and Ridgeland, but nothing where I am, far as I can tell. The power went out for a few minutes, but that was about the worst of it for us. I got in the closet under the stairs with the two dogs when the tornado siren went off. Jay-Jay wore himself out hyperventilating, so he's asleep.

I just heard on TV that there are trees down in our area, too, and the most severe damage seems to be in the Ridgewood Rd/Old Canton Rd. area which is exactly where St. Philip's is. Wonder what happened there. Well, I just talked to David and he said the church is okay, hanging plant baskets are gone, as are the umbrellas on the tables in the courtyard. Trees are down all over town, he said, especially between the Pear Orchard/Old Canton Rd area. His power is out at home, so I guess Betsy's is, too. I couldn't get an answer at her house. Her backyard and David's are joined at the corner. Father Tom posted his observations on his blog.

April is here...hang on to your hat!

Woodlake update: The wind brought down one of the brick columns at the pool and part of the wrought iron fence. There are some shingles off a couple of roofs here, too.

No comments: