Sunday, December 02, 2007

One thing I like the most about singing in St. Philip's Choir is that we are continually challenged to stretch beyond what we think are our personal limits. One of this morning's anthems, Rorate Caeli by Joseph Rheinberger, just totally fell apart in rehearsal when we tried to sing it A Capella. "Ok, I'll play it," our choirmaster said. The group breathed a collective sigh of relief, and our second run-through sounded 100% better than the first.
.
And where was our accompanist when it came time to perform? Standing beside the organ with arms up ready to direct, rather than seated at the keyboard ready to play. We got starting pitches and that was it! He flashed his most devilish grin at those of us who must have looked panic-stricken. "You'll be sorry," the soprano next to me grumbled under her breath.
.
Much to our astonishment, but not his, he was not sorry. We gave a solid A- performance, I thought. We missed a couple of notes, but the ones we sang were in the chord, so nobody knew but us. There is an old Gospel song that says, "Little is much when God is in it." I believe it!
.
David turns 50 next Sunday and I hope he enjoys celebrating all week long like I have. Sagittarians love to party! (Photo by Jim Carrington)
.
Mike played hooky again from church, but met me at Pan Asia for a birthday lunch. I had herb-crusted salmon and he had pan-seared tuna, two really good entrees by our favorite Jackson chef Grant Nooe. Yes, I'm still celebrating, thanks to all. And I'm told there is more to come. I'll have a big head to go with my big butt after this is over. I'm feeling way too special.
.
I turned on NPR's Bryant Park Project program from Friday, and was delighted to hear my niece reading the news, not once, but all four times. Wow! It was great, Laura, good job! You sounded like a real pro. You may have found a new profession to add to your already impressive resume.

I have another niece who is celebrating her first anniversary today with husband Chris. The new house they're building won't be done until about February, so they will be staying with her parents for a couple of months. Congratulations, Deanne and Chris!

Tara, you need to send me news from your life. I know it's exciting with 3 baby boys underfoot. The twins have a birthday soon, don't they? Let me know what's going on with you.

No comments: