Thursday, December 13, 2007

Just what I did not want right here at Christmas time, our property manager's agency wants to quit because our rent house at Madison has too many problems. The sewer line came loose under the house last week and has created quite a stinky mess. Until we can get that cleaned up, no regular plumber will touch it. Roto Rooter is going in the morning to inspect it and give us an estimate on the work that needs to be done. In the meantime, we've had to ask the renters to leave because living conditions are unsafe and unhealthy.

The woman who has actually been managing the property says she will continue to help me, but will have to do it "on the side," not through her agency. She's a Tupelo transplant, too, and actually lived in Plantersville for a while as a child, I really like her, but she's got vacation time she has to use before the end of the year, so you-know-who is back in the rental property problem solving business. Those of you who have told me I need a job must be pleased.

Mike surprised me with a sweet compliment when I told him about this latest development. "Honey, you're a great problem solver, and that's all you need to know how to do to manage rental property." He then went on to say that we should consider acquiring more rent houses while the housing market is soft. And would you believe that at just that moment our bank called wanting to loan us money?!? Is this a conspiracy?

While our oldest rent house is flooded underneath with raw sewage, please don't talk to me about taking on more properties, no matter how good I am at solving problems. I think that's what my mother called "borrowing trouble."

No comments: