Friday, January 19, 2007


We are going to a party tonight, a combination wedding shower and choir party. Our youngest choir member is getting married and will be moving to South Carolina. I will miss her. Christine has sat next to me in the soprano section ever since she started singing with us, one of the few regular contacts I have with a member of that generation. She can do text messaging in her sleep, I'm sure.

Not long ago, one of our altos lamented the prevalence of gray heads in our choir. "When are we going to get some young blood in here?" she asked.

"I don't know, but when we do, I want some of it," I replied, which drew an uproar of laughter from the rest of them. They took that in a way it was not intended, but I always enjoy making folks laugh. We do need to recruit some more young voices.

I saw an old friend from our former church yesterday. She was so excited about their turn-around since the new priest started last fall. "It's everything I always hoped it would be," she said.

"What about the music?" I asked.

"Not as good as St. Philip's," she admitted.

I lost all sudden interest in going back, even for a visit. Not many small Episcopal churches have choirs as good as ours. Betsy told me that last week our choir was down to an ensemble (I was not the only one playing hooky), but it still sounded full and balanced. It's incredible how that happens without fail. I feel very fortunate and blessed to be a part of such a talented group.

Listening to our choir is now possible by clicking on the St. Philip's link in my sidebar. Then go to the Choir page. Several of the Advent and Christmas pieces are linked there. My favorite is Ave Maria by Rachmaninoff. Enjoy!

Results from the colonoscopy were good, no cancer or pre-cancerous condition. I can wait 5 years for a repeat. Yay!

No comments: