Friday, January 05, 2007

It's the 11th day of Christmas and I don't think my Christmas tree will survive another night of Mick's mischief. I probably should have taken the offer of my guests this week to help take it down. Oh well, it will be just part of the reclaiming process I do after company leaves.

Getting my house back to our kind of normalcy helps relieve some of the loneliness I always feel with their departure. Washing sheets, making beds, general tidying and cleaning have a therapeutic element to them that I need. Transitioning back into my comfort zone is always accompanied by a few sighs of relief. It's a totally different experience from those of grandparents whose children and grandchildren live nearby and are part of their daily lives.

Our Epiphany service is being held tonight on the Eve of Epiphany because Tom doesn't like Saturday night services. I can't say I blame him. The Easter Vigil service is always so elaborate that once a year should be enough for anybody. The choir has some beautiful music to sing tonight, then there is the Silent Auction and the Twelfth Night party afterward, which marks the start of Epiphany season, which leads into Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, and then begins Lent. (See Tom's blog for further explanation of our celebrations. http://fromtherector.blogspot.com/ )

All the "Feast Days" we celebrate in the Episcopal Church are still a little confusing to this former Baptist raised with many restrictions, especially concerning the frivolity of Mardi Gras. Many Baptists would not appreciate the delicious Wassail we will enjoy at tonight's party, but many former Baptists will. (Thanks to this site for the great picture. http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5567/roundred.gif )

http://www.velasquezphotography.com/clientproofs
View Deanne and Kris's wedding pictures at this site. Their gallery key is d&k1202. Some great shots in that collection.

No comments: