Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is this just Tuesday? In addition to a house full of the Bo-Go bunch, I've got an irritable husband, and plumbing problems, not the kind of week I wanted. Strange people in and out of the house have both Gus and Jay-Jay on edge, and their barking is about to get on my last nerve. I'm ready for things to settle down around here and return to normal. I'm always reminded, when we have company, of the dull, slow pace we maintain when it's just the two of us.

Neither Ricky nor Benji understand why I am reluctant to cook family meals when they visit. "Why is food always such an issue when we're here?" Benji asked me. We keep such different schedules, though, it's hard to plan a time when everybody can sit down together and eat. By the time Mike and I are ready for lunch, others are just getting up and are wanting breakfast. Mike postponed two meals yesterday to accomodate our guests, but informed me this morning that he didn't want to do that again. Consequently, Benji ate a hamburger for breakfast.

The easiest thing is just to let guests fend for themselves. The food is in the kitchen and they know how to fix it, so it's "every man for himself," except Gramma will fix the kids whatever they want, whenever they want it. The adults are on their own. This little cowboy could ask for anything and I'd try to get it for him. He's quite a little charmer.

Family meals are one of those traditions that is fading away. I've long thought that big meals encourage over-eating, and that it would be healthier if each person would eat several mini-meals, and only when they're hungry. The key is to keep healthy, easy-to-fix food on hand. I've made many suppers of apple slices and peanut butter, and felt totally satisfied, not what we were taught in Home Ec, but a viable alternative.

One of the little mystery gifts I got for Christmas is a pedometer. I'm trying once again to work up to 10,000 steps a day. The only time I ever achieved that is when Mike was in the hospital after his stroke. I did a lot of nervous pacing in addition to the back and forth from parking garage to hospital to garage to home, walk the dog, back to the hospital, there were several days when I racked up 10,000 steps plus.

No comments: