Thursday, November 16, 2006

Drama in the political theatre has been high for the past week. Even though I've never been a Trent Lott fan, I was pleased when he was elected Minority Leader in the Senate yesterday. Katrina had a humanizing effect on him, from my perspective, as did being ditched for his careless remarks about Strom Thurmond. And it was on his watch that the Senate refused to conduct an impeachment trial of Clinton. None of this made me actually like the man, just dislike him less.

What pleased me about his election as Minority Leader is that his reputation as back-stabber is well known and if anybody can undo what needs to be undone in the Republican Party, it will be him. Vendettas are serious business with this Mississippian. Look for more closeted skeletons to be exposed. If I were Bush, I'd be very nervous.

Rep. Steny Hoyer was just elected House Majority Leader. (He bears a striking resemblance to the guest priest we had at our church last Sunday, the Rev. John Stone Jenkins.) Nancy Pelosi handicapped herself by backing Murtha, but if she's as smart as I think she is, she can overcome the handicap. Hoyer made a very conciliatory acceptance speech, and Murtha was gracious, too, as was Pelosi.

No comments: