Monday, October 02, 2006

Reading has been much more compelling than writing recently. I have an upstairs book, Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd, a downstairs book, Watchdogs of Democracy, by Helen Thomas, and since Bob Woodward's last book came out, I've read as much of it and about it as I can on the internet. Currently, my favorite authors all seem to be journalists, and they all write discomforting things about Washington. Maybe that's why I had trouble sleeping last night. At least, Maureen Dowd makes me laugh.

We're back to hot weather again in Mississippi. At 2 pm, it is 92*, no rain or cooler temps forecast for the rest of the week. We're having our annual Goat Roast at St. Philip's next Sunday, and it's supposed to be sunny and warm. Last year, the afternoon temp was low 70's, which is perfect for sitting under the shade trees and listening to bluegrass. The music for the liturgy will be atypical, old gospel hymns with piano, guitars, fiddle, and banjo, sounds like a Gaither Homecoming program. It's the only time we draw a full house. It's packed! Last year they left the doors open while the scent of the outdoor barbeque wafted through. Now that's a Southerner's heavenly delight!

A few of our stuffier NE Jacksonians refuse to participate, claiming it's too close to "tacky" for them (Episcopalians are traditionally uncomfortable with "tacky"), but it attracts new people every year. It shows the relaxed, casual side of us that one does not easily see the rest of the year. High church is very intimidating to people accustomed to less formal services. Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised by the warmth and sociability of most of our parishoners.

I got my weight down to the Oct. 1 goal, then blew it by pigging out on Mexican fare yesterday. Today it was Chinese. I feel so conflicted! Eat, drink, be merry, for tomorrow we diet!

No comments: