Monday, September 04, 2006

Rather than watching Don Imus this morning, Mike was watching Joyce Meyer! That's quite a contrast. I always enjoy listening to her, so I sat down with him to hear today's message on "Be Yourself," a topic she's unquestionably qualified to speak on. If anybody is living out her God-given potential, it's Joyce Meyer, 110% of her. What a gift!

The temp was only 68 when I took the dogs for a brisk walk this morning. I'm liking this! We may get the sluggish metabolism revved up yet. Eating lunch at No. 1 China Buffet yesterday set me back on the other side of the Sept 1 weight loss goal, and Mike wants to go back again today. I'm going to try to trim down the portion size, lay off the fried stuff, and eat only fruit for dessert. Yesterday I had apple pie and ice cream. Tsk, tsk, tsk. But it was so gooood!

Mike is enjoying playing with the new CD recorder. He hasn't quite got it mastered, but he's taking the time to read the instructions, unusual for him. I hope it does what he wanted and doesn't have to be sent back.

Benji is participating in a novel writing competition to raise money for charitable causes, and he wants me to do it, too. www.nanowrimo.org is the website. I'm considering it, but haven't committed to it. They can even provide a plot for those of us who are plot challenged.

I read some more about Verna Dozier this morning. One story stopped me in my tracks. From the Rev. Elizabeth Kaeton of St. Paul's in Chatham, NJ:

My favorite memory of Ms. Verna Dozier is the "charge" she gave to Jane Holmes Dixon at her consecration at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. I'll never forget it.
Ms. Verna, also affectionately described by neophytes to the church as "that little itty bity African-American woman," was in that grand stone pulpit, standing on a box and yet still not quite visible from the congregation.
When it came time for the "consecration charge," she peered up over the microphone and, speaking like the spiritual giant she was said, "Jane Holmes Dixon, stand up."
And, of course, Jane did. Immediately.
She cleared her throat and began, "Every leader in Christian community most often wants one thing," she said, pausing before she continued, "They want desperately to be loved."
The silence was deafening. Everyone in that big cavernous cathedral who knew anything about Christian leadership knew exactly what she was talking about. We held our collective breath waiting for what was coming next.
"Jane Holmes Dixon," said Ms. Verna (but she was speaking to everyone else in the congregation, herself included), "you must find that place in you that wants desperately to be loved . . . and," she slowed down for effect, ". . .
let . . .it . . . die."
I could hear myself gasp even over the gasps of recognition all around me.
I'll never forget that moment. Ever.
And, I will forever be grateful for this and all the other many valuable lessons taught (like, if you're going to drink Bourbon, it should be Maker's
Mark) by that quintessential Christian teacher, leader, pastor and prophet, Ms.
Verna Dozier.
May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

No comments: