Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Rain is predicted for this afternoon; however, the dark clouds in the SW look like they're ahead of schedule. Barbie's 30% chance looks like 95% to me. The doppler does indicate showers in Rankin Co at the moment, so I'm postponing the walk until it clears. The dogs and Mick walked to the mailbox with me, so they will be ok for a while. The long morning walks have made them less restless during the day, Jay-Jay is less anxious, Gus is less whiny, so it's been good for all of us.

Sharon, the nurse in Dr. Lagarde's office, left word for me to call her yesterday. I didn't check messages until after they were closed, so I've had plenty of time to worry about test results from last week's check-up. When I get DSL installed, I can answer the phone and be online at the same time. That will be good in a case like this.

Most phone calls, though, are just a waste of my time. Talk is cheap and is so often used in the place of actually doing what needs to be done. I trust very little of what I hear, due, in part, to being so easily influenced in the past by what people say.

Action speaks louder than words, my grandmother always said, and the older I get, the more wisdom I see in that pithy proverb. She had to deal with a son-in-law who could be a silver-tongued devil in her eyes. "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." To her, it was not just an emotional issue, but a conflict of faith. She held him and his preacher father in such high regard until she moved in with us and found out how very human he was.

Dad wasn't always unkind to her, but could be when he was angry. His eloquent apologies didn't relieve the pain he caused; I observed her crying for hours after his vicious outbursts. She, on the other hand, rarely talked about how much she loved us, she just took such good care of us that we never had to wonder. More evenly tempered than he, she didn't give us bellicose scoldings and lectures like he did. If we misbehaved, she popped us a couple of times on the backside and sent us on our way. That was the end of it. And I don't remember her ever saying anything critical about him.

Verbal abuse didn't have a label back then, but it does now. I regret that I did it to my kids, too. From what I've read, some people never recover from it. If there is a psychological component to my hearing loss, it may be from that. My ears have been too frequently assaulted by unpleasant sounds. I guess that's why the book of James inspired as many sermons as it did. Wise people have known for ages how much damage can be done by the uncontrolled tongue.

2 comments:

Zoilus said...

You wrote: "In spite of all the criticism he levels at American politics and capitalism, he knows our country is still the most powerful human magnet in the world. It does offer significant advantages. Maybe living abroad for 5 months gave him a new appreciation for his homeland."

Listen, the IDEA of our country is a significant human magnet on the world, but I'd wager that magnet has lost much of its attraction since you know when. Eastern Europeans, for example, aren't moving to Philly or New York anymore; they're moving to Galway and Cork. Better economy. No fecking bs morality to deal with. Etc.

Also, just to be clear, I came back to the states because Éire would have DEPORTED me if I hadn't left, not because I missed this stupid, rude-arse republic so much. Yeah, it's nice to live in a place where the gas is only $2.84 (not 1.10E per litre), but that doesn't make our lack of sidewalks or public transport alternatives palatable for me somehow. It doesn't make our push for global warming in our lifetime as attractive as say good steaks or beautiful girls in bikinis.

And, finally, no one would come to this country if employers were only forced to follow the laws. There were over six BILLION extra dollars in FICA taxes collected last year, according to Thom Hartmann. Our elected officials KNOW which companies are paying illegal workers based on this discrepancy, and if our government only handed out financial penalties for this practice then millions of cheap labor immigrants would emigrate as soon as they could. I mean, we don't need no stinkin' border patrol or wall with Mexico. We just need simple enforcement of simple, existing labor laws.

If we can leave one day, we're probably moving to Australia. I have this romantic dream that I'll retire to Paris and paint portraits by the Seine and drink absinthe in sidewalk cafes afterwards. But I have always been, and still remain, an American expatriate waiting on a plane ticket out of this crazy country. In the meantime, I'm just trying to keep it as sane as I can through teaching and writing.

Sorry to disappoint, but the USA is fucked. If you can't see that, then you're just not looking hard enough.

C J Garrett said...

Per Benji: This comment was intended for the 6/8 post, not the 6/7 post.

Per his mom: It's nice to have you home, Son. I see you lost no time in reclaiming your soapbox.